The Mega 2560 R3 with ATmega16U2 is an Arduino compatible board that uses the same USB device as the original Arduino Mega 2560 R3 for the highest level of compatibility. The Mega 2560 provides a large amount of I/O and memory and is ideal for larger projects
- Mega 2560 R3 with ATmega16U2 USB (Arduino Mega 2560 R3 compatible)
Key Features of Mega 2560 R3 with ATmega16U2 USB:
- ATmega2560 processor running at 16MHz
- ATmega16U2 programmed as a serial to USB converter as used in original Arduino Mega 2560 R3
- 256KB Flash memory
- 54 Digital I/O
- 15 PWM shared with the digital I/O
- 16 Analog inputs that can also be used as digital I/O for a total of up to 70 digital I/O
- 4 Hardware serial ports
- 5V Operation
Because this board uses the original Atmega16U2 for the USB converter, it does not require a different driver as the CH340 version does. It costs a little more, but it provides the maximum level of compatibility with the original Arduino Mega 2560 R3 and will identify as Arduino/Genuino Mega 2560 in the IDE.
The Mega 2560 operates at 5V which can be supplied via an external power supply or through the USB port connection. The power source is selected automatically if both are available. If an external supply is used, it is recommended to use a supply between 7-12V. Higher input voltages will cause the on-board regulator to work harder and may cause it to overheat. Our 7.5V AC adapter works extremely well for powering these boards.
The attached Mega 2560 board pin-out shows the most commonly used functions for the pins, but some pins can support other functions. Refer the the Arduino documentation for all possible functions for the pins.
Our Evaluation Results:
These are nice Arduino compatible assemblies with very good build quality.
Before they are shipped, these modules are:
- Powered up and the example program ‘Blinky’ which blinks the on-board LED once per second is downloaded to verify basic operation.
- Repackaged in high quality resealable ESD bag for safe storage.
Additional Info on Arduino.cc website
|Serial to USB Converter||ATmega16U2|
|Input Voltage (recommended)||7-12V|
|Digital I/O Pins||54|
|PWM I/O Pins (Shared with Digital I/O)||15|
|Analog Input Pins (can also be used as digital I/O)||16|
|DC Current per I/O Pin||20mA|
|DC Current which can be drawn from 3.3V Pin||50mA|
|Flash Memory||256 KBytes|
|Built-in LED||Attached to digital I/O Pin 13|
|USB Connector Style||B-Type Female|
|Board Dimensions (PCB)||102 x 53.4mm (4 x 2.1″)|
|Board Dimensions (with connector overhang)||110 x 53.4mm (4.3 x 2.1″)|